Saturday, August 13, 2005

Da Bearss Need a QB. Who Will It Be?

Rex Grossman is out for at least half of the 2005 season, according to the Bears. The quarterbacks remaining on their roster include Chad Hutchinson, Kyle Orton, Kurt Kittner, Joe Barnes, and Kent Nix. I don't think that'll do it.

I advocated last year (I have at least one friend, Hot Doug, who'll back me up) that the Bears sign Chad Hutchinson before they did. And I think that he potentially can still be a good backup. I don't really know about being a real starter in this league.

But I think Da Bearss need a veteran quarterback to come in. Here are the names that are sort of being bandied about:

Vinnie Testaverde: No. Vinnie is too old. He looked not so good at the end of last year. I don't think the Bears need a 40-year-old to come in. They need a veteran, but not of WWII.

Jeff George: No. Though he had some experience with the Bears last year, there is a new offensive coordinator, so some of that advantage is lost. And, he's not had the best history of team play. I don't think Jeff is a bad idea for some teams, necessarily, but not the Bears.

Quincy Carter: No. The Jets didn't want him back. I think Q needs to go to Canada.

Tim Couch: No. The Bears probably can do better. Also, I don't know if Tim's shoulder can take two pratices in a row, much less hold up in game situations. As with Carter, I think you need someone who is ready to step in, but not that old.

Brock Huard: Now we are getting somewhere. But I think he is closer to Chad Hutchinson, and he doesn't have the experience that Hutchinson does. So, he still rates a "no."

Jeff Blake: Here you go. He's the answer if you are looking for a one-year deal. He has a ton of experience, he has been in several "West Coast" offenses, so he should be able to step in. He's a bit long in the tooth, but he should be fresh after not playing much last year. He could step in, help right away, and then you could say "bye-bye."

Shaun King: He's the guy if you want a longer term solution. Without a doubt. The only math I think you need to make is where you think Kyle Orton is, and where you think Chad Hutchinson is. And, I guess for that matter, what you think about Rex Grossman. I think that Orton could be a starter in the NFL. I thought he was the best combination of college QB and pro prosepect as a QB through about eight weeks of the season last year, until he got hurt. I have my doubts about Hutchinson. And I have strong doubts about Rex. So I would sign Shaun King.

So it's Blake or King. Fairly easy call.

thankyouverymuch,

Old Cleat

No comments: