Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Backup Quarterbacks Could Make Gridiron News

Seth Wickersham, a gridiron news writer for ESPN The Magazine, recently wrote in his blog:

“They are the QBs who start the year on the bench or with no expectations and rise up to a Pro Bowl or Super Bowl near you. Here are a quick five who might some about this year.”

Then he listed the following five:

5. Tony Banks, Houston.
4. Gus Frerotte, Miami.
3. Joey Harrington, Detroit.
2. Kyle Boller, Baltimore.
1. Jason Campbell, Washington.

I agree maybe with one of these picks, Tony Banks. Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington are former first-round picks who are starters, for crying out loud. They have to have some expectations, so they don’t count. Gus Frerotte is a former starter who is not really a backup. He is competing for a starting job under a new coach. So he don’t count. And Jason Campbell is a first-round pick this year who is the designated QB of the future for Joe Gibbs and Co. So Campbell don’t count.

My list has five QBs who would really be surprises to lead his team to the playoffs, or to make a Pro Bowl:

5. Todd Bouman, New Orleans. Not the QB of the present or the future. He also could be a third stringer that we never hear from again. But I’ve seen him play, and he can play some QB in the NFL.
4. Tim Hasselbeck, New York Giants. Picture this: Eli’s not getting it done. The Giants don’t have patience. They bring in a Hasselbeck, and he gets it done. I can see it now. Not a pro bowler, but I can see a playoff run behind Timmy.
3. Marques Tuiasosopo, Oakland. Now this would be a real surprise. He is behind Collins, he’s been hurt, and they drafted that Walter kid outta Arizona State, who I really like. But I can see him lofting pass after pass to Moss. And let’s face it: Nobody really knows about San Diego.
2. Anthony Wright, Baltimore. This would surprise the world (well, maybe not the world), but not me. I think Wright may outplay Kyle Boller early in camp. And if Boller struggles during the season, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Wright under center. Athletic, strong arm, pretty darned good team around him, save maybe for the wideouts. What the hell. I could see Wright go far in the playoffs.
1. Kelly Holcolmbe, Buffalo. This is a no-brainer. I think Holcolmbe can flat out get it done. I have no real opinion on J.P. Losman other than I thought it was a terrible waste of picks to get him. Saw him a little in college and wasn’t real impressed. But Holcolmbe can play. Don’t pay attention to some of the crapola that happened in Cleveland. This kid’s a QB. I’m sayin’ he could make the Pro Bowl.

Well, that's the gridiron news for now. thankyouverymuch,

Old Cleat

No comments: