Thursday, February 05, 2009

Hank Aaron Hammerin' Away at Racism at 75

Hank Aaron is 75 today, and he is still hammering away at racism, according to this article on SportingNews. Here is what he had to say about those nutjobs who were upset that Hank was going to pass Babe Ruth on the all-time homer list:

"I thought, 'What in the world am I doing (to make) people despise me?'" he said during a lengthy interview in his Turner Field office for an upcoming feature in Sporting News Magazine. "But Babe Ruth was a hero. People just have their own heroes, and they don't want anything to come between them.

"A person who can't learn (to forget) is a miserable person, because you're not built to walk around all your life hating people. Everybody -- even me -- has got to walk a mile in another person's shoes before you condemn him."


At the bottom of the article I commented that I don't thing Hank Aaron is the
"real" home run king, as do several of the other commenters. Barry Bonds hit (or has hit, if he hasn't retired) the most home runs in a career. If you think he deserves an astericks or not may be one thing, but he is the homer king. Was Bonds jacked up on the juice? Maybe. Were there pitchers throwing to him jacked up? Probably. Also, though I don't really believe it, I have read that there are some who do.)

But back to Hank. Hank Aaron is what a hero looks like to me.

The picture of the dream 1960s NL outfield is from congressionalgoldmedal dot com ... left to right, Roberto Clemente, Willie Mays, and Hank.

thankyouverymuch,
OldCleat

No comments: