Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Suds Nab McNabb 12th Overall; Like TO, I Love Donovan

The BenFL has had their draft. Ben11 on SportsLine is a football league that we've had for about 12 years now. I am the general manager and head coach of the Suds (named after the professional slow pitch softball team in Cincinnati in the 1970s). We've never won the stupid thing, though that happens (ask the Bengals).

My draft strategy has always been to get great running backs and get a top tight end. Then I looked to getting better defenses and kickers. Lastly, I wanted to fill out the roster with well-picked quarterbacks and wide receivers. That has never worked.

This year, I decided to make a change. There are 12 teams in the BenFL, and I had the 12th pick in the draft. I chose Donovan McNabb first overall, because I've been disappointed with my quarterback play over the past dozen years. He has a chance to score the Suds some serious points. With the 13th pick, I took the first wide receiver in the draft, Randy Moss. He isn't much of a team player, but he can certainly help us relax after the game.

By the time the draft got back around to me, pick 36, many of the good backs were gone. I took Ronnie Brown, the rookie for Miami. I hope he's as good as they say he is. Pick 37 went to Antonio Gates from San Diego. Tony Gonzalez, my tight end for the last several years, was already gone.

Pick 59 garnered the Suds Fred Taylor. All things considered, we should be thrilled that we got Fred Taylor with pick 59. If he can stay healthy, he could be the steal of the draft. Pick 60 got me Mushin Muhammad from Da Bearss. The Suds were the first team to pick a defense, going with Baltimore, and a kicker, going with Adam Vinatieri.

All of the picks by the Suds are below. And, as always, Go SUDS.

McNabb, Donovan QB PHI
Moss, Randy WR OAK
Brown, Ronnie RB MIA
Gates, Antonio TE SD
Taylor, Fred RB JAC
Muhammad, Muhsin WR CHI
Edwards, Braylon WR CLE
Evans, Lee WR BUF
Warner, Kurt QB ARI
Jones, Greg RB JAC
Ravens, DST DST BAL
Troupe, Ben TE TEN
Jacobs, Brandon RB NYG
Vinatieri, Adam K NE
Jenkins, Michael WR ATL
Boller, Kyle QB BAL
Shipp, Marcel RB
Nugent, Mike K NYJ
Seahawks, DST DST SEA

thankyouverymuch,

Old Cleat

No comments: