Saturday, August 20, 2005

Griff Junior: Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

Ken Griffey Jr. has done nothing but play hard for the Cincinnati Reds. I am a Ken Griffey Jr. fan.

Those who want to dog him because he kept getting hurt, I think, have it backwards. He kept getting hurt because he doesn't love the game. He kept getting hurt solely because he loves the game and plays only one way. In that way, he reminds me of Eric Davis, or, if you're a fan of baseball history, Pete Reiser.

The Reds have tried to trade Junior away. Jim Bowden traded Junior to the Padres for Phil Nevin. The trade was voided because Nevin refused to come to the Reds. Junior for Phil Nevin. I can't even fathom it. I am convinced that that trade got Jim Bowden fired. I'm sure the dearth of starting pitchers in the Reds minors for a decade or so helped, but I think that that trade of Junior was the straw that broke the GM’s back.

Now, the rumors are flying that Junior will be traded to the White Sox for some prospects, that in fact a deal had been done, and that Carl Lindner, the managing general partner of the Reds, nixed the deal before the trade deadline. John Allen, who is the president of the Reds, furiously denies all of this. Ken Williams, the Sox GM, remains mum about the specifics.

If Lindner nixed the deal, all I can say is, "Good for you." I know that Junior should go. I know that it would be the best thing for the Cincinnati organization and for Ken Griffey Junior. Trading to get Junior was the right thing to do. But letting him move on at the right price is also the right thing to do.

At the right price. My greatest fear is that the Reds will dump Junior, get marginal prospects, and still have to foot almost all of his salary, thus impairing their ability to spend the money necessary in player development and roster development that would help them move forward.

If you are not helping the franchise baseball wise, then keep Junior. I know that there is a logjam in the outfield and Kearns and Pena need to play. I know that the Reds need pitching, and that they are a small market, and that the farm system is not very stocked. I know all this. But, if the deal's not the one to move the franchise forward, don't make it.

Grif is hitting .290, with 28 homers, 83 RBI, and 74 runs this season. If the White Sox (or the Braves or the Mets or someone else) wants a centerfielder who can put up those kinds of numbers, they will have to come to the table with something good. If not, the Reds should keep him.

Of course, that is coming from a Ken Griffey Jr. fan. But, even more, I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan. And the No. 1 goal in any transaction is, move the franchise forward.

thankyouverymuch,

Old Cleat

No comments: