Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Greg Maddux Column, by Gene Wojciechowski


Greg Maddux retires, and Gene Wojciechowski of ESPN (formerly of the Chicago Tribune, but they let him get away ... huh, wonder why they are in trouble?) writes a great tribute column about the Mad Dog. My favorite Maddux saying has always been, and I paraphrase, "The only thing I worry about is making a good pitch." His entire career summed up in that sentence. He was always only concerned with the next pitch, and all he wanted to do with that pitch is make a good pitch. [[NOTE: Here are some quotes that are close to what I'm talking about that I could find on the Internet Machine. Maddux saying: "I just think about what I have to do to make good pitches. That's it." or “The key tonight?” [Maddux] says. “The key was making more good pitches than bad ones.”]] See ya around, Mad Doggie. The great old picture of Greg Maddux is from spring training 1987 from Woolis.com, a site that all you Cub fans should visit.

No comments: